Serena and Lily, A Tucker Chair Review

Monday, April 3, 2023

 


The "Tucker" chair is a beautiful Windsor style chair that comes in six colors. I currently have six Tucker chairs in black at my own dining table and have had them since 2021. This is a Serena and Lily "Tucker" chair review for those interested in this petite yet sturdy farmhouse style chair.

 


First of all, I don't baby chairs in my house, I have two teenagers and a 6' tall husband who weighs in at about 185lbs, and we all sit in these chairs, put our feet in them, stand on them, and eat all the things while sitting in them (spaghetti, hot cheese sauce, sticky mixed drinks, etc.). These chairs have been through it. I'm happy to say that none are broken, and all are as still as sturdy as the day I bought them, which surprised me giving their petite stature. Here are the stats as per the Serena and Lily website:

 

  • Made of solid beech.

  • Designed for smaller tables and spaces.

  • Gorgeously handcrafted by a historic furniture maker in the Czech Republic.

  • 17.5"W x 19"D x 33.5"H overall.

  • Seat Height: 18".

  • Seat Depth: 15.75".

  • Seat Width: 16".

  • Holds up to 300 lbs.

     

The Tucker chair is also sold at Design Within Reach as the "Salt" chair (same chair, just different name), and they are made by TON, a European maker based in the Czech Republic. They are constructed of European beech wood and the paint is fantastic (I can attest to this as my husband has created several divots in the chairs with a sharp sided card case holder he keeps in his back pocket -- but they are only divots and no paint has chipped at all). The wood is not as hard as oak or maple however, and you will get dents and divots as you can see in the photo below, on the seat especially as it seems to be more vulnerable than the legs and back pieces.

 
Overall I've been happy with these chairs but I see that they've gone up in price quite a bit since I bought them in 2021. With the pandemic it seems that everything has inflated in price, especially furniture. I would recommend waiting on a sale, which seems to happen with more frequency and better discounts at Design Within Reach than S&L.
 
The "Tucker" chair is truly a sturdy, stylish option that pairs well with coastal decor, farmhouse and classically designed rooms. These are a purchase I don't think you can regret.