Pottery Barn Odessa Rug Review

Saturday, April 22, 2023

 

 

I love to review higher priced decor pieces here on the blog so others can decide if something is worth the investment and read an honest review of the item in question.  No one wants to shell out a thousand dollars for a rug only to find it doesn’t meet expectations.


When I purchased the Pottery Barn Odessa rug in the 8' x 11' size I couldn't find any reviews online and bought it with my fingers crossed. I actually found it for sale on Wayfair.com as the Rushmore Rug (Something that boutique companies like to do is rename an item and sell it for a higher price -- I wrote an entire blog post about just this topic) and paid about 40% less than what Pottery Barn had it listed for. It's the exact same rug by the same company, just listed under a different name.


Now, do I love the rug after living with it for two+ years? The answer is yes, and no. First off, the Odessa/Rushmore rug is gorgeous, and in person it looks very much like the photo if not a little bit more beige in person. This rug is actually two sided and the product photos show what I considered to be the underside -- which I think is an oversight because the opposite side has a higher pile. See what I mean? (in the pic below I have my rug flipped with the product photo side on the underside next to the rug pad. Ignore the giant dusty bunny...):


 

Looks aside this rug is a little thinner than I had hoped and we had to use a 1/2" rug pad underneath. It's now comfortable to walk and lay on for short periods but I wouldn’t call it plush under foot. Honestly, it's beautiful, but the biggest caveat has been kind of a bummer -- loose fibers working their way out daily and two years later it still clogs my Dyson cordless vacuum when I clean it.


I get on my hands and knees ya'll, weekly, to snip all the wool pieces that stick out of this rug from just normal wear and tear of walking on it (we do not wear shoes in my house either). This was a huge disappointment to say the least, given the price of this rug. A certain amount of snipping is normal for a hand knotted rug, but after several years my old lady knees have really had enough. 



Sadly, this is one item I would say to skip. I love the look of this rug in my living room, but it hasn't been worth the headaches and I'm on the hunt for something more durable with less overall maintenance. For the price I expected more, and would not recommend unless you don't mind continuing maintenance.